We are Dedicated to Your Safety
The Petrolia & North Enniskillen Fire Department covers the middle to northern portion of the municipality and is responsible for providing fire protection to areas within the boundary lines of Lots 1-31, Concession 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 inclusive.
These are the Chief Officers who collectively lead this department day in and day out. Along with our Chief and Deputies, 4 Captains lead their respective platoon of firefighters.
Jay Arns is the current Fire Chief of the Petrolia & North Enniskillen Fire Department, as well as the Director of Protective Services for the Town of Petrolia. With a long history of fire service and community involvement, Arns stepped in as our Chief in 2018 and has been working hard to improve our department and ensure we are serving the public as best we can. One of his current projects is to replace old equipment to ensure we are fully equipped to handle any kind of emergency we may face.
Darren Allan is our Deputy Chief of Fire Prevention and Public Education. Darren started with the Petrolia & North Enniskillen Fire Department on July 17th, 2000 as a frontline firefighter. After 7 years on the front line, he took on the role of Fire Captain. He moved in the public education role after 12 years as captain, and since then has made many efforts to teach the public about proper fire safety practice and prevention.
Brian Clark is our Deputy Chief of Operations & Training. Brian has been working as a firefighter since 1992, and has collectively been with the Petrolia & North Enniskillen Fire Department for 15 years. Since becoming a Deputy Chief Brian has been improving firefighter rehabilitation and wellness to ensure the well being of our firefighters.
*Coming soon! *
The First Fire Houses of Petrolia
Following the discovery of oil at Oil Springs in 1857, prospectors extended their search to the entire Township of Enniskillen. At first, eclipsed by Oil Springs, the community developed slowly. But in 1865-66 a series of discoveries culminating in the drilling of the King Well established Petrolia as the major oil-producing center in Canada and its population soared from about 300 to approximately 2,300. Incorporated as the village of Petrolia in 1866, it became a town in January 1, 1874.
Around 1868 there was a fire at the King Well with the loss of 75,000 Barrels of crude. Two years later the first Fire Hall was built on Pearl and First Ave. Fire was such a hazard in the oil smeared settlement that a second Fire Hall was built on Fletcher St. in 1872 and a group of firefighters organized in the west end of town. Water Tanks were set up around the streets and oil was then stored underground in Blue Clay as a safety precaution.
If you are interested in learning more about Petrolia’s Fire Department Heritage, visit http://www.petroliaheritage.com/victoriahall.html.